Sunday, July 25, 2010

Changing Horses Mid-Stream

This week was our first "official" week of homeschool for the new year.  And already, I have had to consider changing horses midstream.  I know the line about 'the beauty of homeschooling is that we can tailor....'  But I like my nice, neat, tidy lesson plans and I like for them to work.  I don't like having to redo my whole scheme. But, alas, I will go lightly for one more week and take another look at the situation then and evaluate if I truly must do that. 

Two of my three 'school-age' children have begged and begged to have their "own" books...meaning textbooks for their respective grades for this school year.  I have never been a textbook homeschooler, but assumed that they needed the structure and the independance of it.  So, being that they weren't huge investments (and knowing that  I would take them on other studies along the way anyway), I went for it.  And it did not prove to be what they envisioned.  I will post the verdict after giving a little more time.  I don't like to jump the gun, but I don't want to waste precious time on materials that aren't serving our purpose and vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear what you have to say!