Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Laundry Day

Every one has one household chore that they do not sincerely prefer, right???  Right?  Tell me it's not just me.  Pleeeease.  Even if it is just me....I do not prefer laundry.  At.  All.  None.  I have tried ten thousand laundry schedules and routines.  I'm ever evolving on that one.  One thing doesn't change, though.  By the time children are around 6 or so, I am diligent to make it ever so easy for them to do their own laundry.  Yes, I'm a whiner and I'm selfish about it.  I confess.  I have repented and try diligently to maintain a grateful heart for the clothing and appliances and fresh water and all that we need to keep cleanly clothed.  I do....

Laundry with children:  At around age 4, they become my laundry helper on a fairly regular basis.  They help transfer clothing and remove clothing from the machines.  Also, they begin to learn to put a simple shirt on a hanger.  They are with me and just "practice" on this for a loong while.  Sometimes, the child might not have a dresser ( we use baskets across the shelf in their closet) and keeping that organized is not an issue.  Right now, our littlest helper can put a shirt on a hanger.  She has four containers across her shelf in her closet.  One for socks/undies, one for jammies, two for folded pants .  Shirts, sweaters, dresses and skirts are hung.  It keeps it simple and streamlined and very functional.  My boys, who share a room, do theirs together.  Each can hang/fold all of his own pieces.  There are two plastic drawer carts in their room and each has one to hold socks/undies/jammies/pants.  It's real simple here.  My oldest can do hers however she likes and is not prone to having laundry issues, so I give her organizational liberty on that.

 I went through a rather long period of time when everyone had an assigned laundry day.  Everyone of laundry age loved that one, that way they knew what to expect.  They sometimes still revert back to it.  Lately, I've been doing A laundry day.  As in, doing it all on one day and not having to think about it again till next week, or  at least the end of the week.  That goes OK, too.  I don't really care as long as it gets done and is not lingering.  It's a huge thorn in my side.

Laundry Products: I'm about as simple as it gets in this area.  I like smelly stuff.  My family does.  My husband likes the smell of fabric softeners.  There are less expensive, natural alternatives, I know.  I do use the Aldi brand and all agree that it is nice.  Also, I try to keep detergent to 2.00 or so per bottle because we do so much.  I did try to make my own.  I gave it a good effort.  I used it all.  I was not impressed with the clothes that needed a lot of help.  I generally stick with Aldi there, too, unless I have a coupon deal going on-usually from a drugstore.  I have no complaints with the Aldi cleaners as of yet. 

Sorting--I'm not real particular there, either.  Again, I just want it done!  When we were on the assigned days system, we did  not sort and each person just used cold and had about one load.  If they had two loads or more, sorting became a possibility.  Now, with the once a week method, we definitely sort and I do feel like I'm doing laundry the "right" way, like my Mama taught me.  But, honestly, I really couldn't care less if linens are in with my socks.

I'm soo open to hearing more on laundry simplifying and scheduling...any help is welcome! Leave me a comment and tell me how you get it done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to hear what you have to say!